Monday, December 29, 2008

Can I Just Say?

Bad news as always from the Middle East, take a look at the Washington Note, and commentary by Michael Oren in the New Republic.

If I say that this New Year's I willl try to be mindful of the people of Burma, Darfur and Congo as well as Palestine, you will know that I regard much of the reaction to the tragic events in Gaza as, yes, disproportionate. I remain more than a little queasy about those of us on the left that rail against "the Zionists" avoiding mention of that well-known UN member "Israel".

Yes, my attitudes to Israel are based on personal factors, "tribal" if you like; those factors include my friendship with residents of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem and with many American Jews, the fact that Israel is the only country in the Middle East where gays and lesbians can live together in safety with their relationships properly recognised by the state, the fact that Israel is a secular liberal democracy.

Be that as it may.

Again, take a look at Daniel Levy's account of where things are going wrong.

Update: And Mustafa Barghouthi also at the Washington Note.

No comments: